Saturday, March 17, 2012

Feeling nostalgic for the Perfect Mixed Tape...

I used to spend hours on my bedroom floor amongst a pile of tapes and attempt to define myself through the immortal words of angst-filled grunge bands ( ok, ok, it started with Paula Abdul but my taste changed with the summer of 92 ) There's a natural progression that a mixed tape has to take to be a goodie. I love how John Cusack's charachter explains it in High Fidelity;


To me, making a tape is like writing a letter. There's a lot of erasing and rethinking and starting again. A good compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do. You've got to kick off with a corker, to hold the attention and then you've got to up it a notch, or cool it a notch, you can't have two tracks by the same artist together, unless you've done the whole thing in pairs and…oh, there are loads of rules. 


HaHa, so true..so many rules. What a lost art, the manual labour of it…switching tapes, finding the song, rewinding, forwarding, releasing the Record button and Play simultaneously! Now I just dump songs onto my iPod and their lucky to be on my playlist at the end of the week, its all so disposable.  


No comments:

Post a Comment